Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Double joy!

Picture: Emalese Townsend is Billy's mom and she is 95 years old. She lives in that blue bus and she gave each of us a doll (she collects them). I LOVE her!

BILLY TOWNSEND and NANCY HALES ARE GETTING BAPTIZED ON SATURDAY—rejoice! It is a miracle. The zone leaders, (who are wonderful—very energetic and optimistic) Elders Shumway and Peterson, suggested that we ask Billy to be interviewed at the same time that Nancy (his daughter) would be interviewed, since the district leader had to come up anyway. Initially we thought that he would quickly agree, because we talked about doing that before and he seemed fine with it. However, when we called him and asked him he said, "I don't think so…" and continued with his usual, "I don't think I'm ready for baptism yet." Our phone call was interrupted, so I had a little bit of time before I had to respond. I knelt down and pleaded with the Lord to give me the words to speak, His words, so that Billy would commit to be interviewed and so that his heart would be softened. As we resumed our conversation I could sense a change in the way Billy responded, and soon he agreed to be interviewed.

Our prayers were likewise answered Elder Cook and Elder Harral clicked well with the Hales family (they are country boys from Idaho so they, too, love hunting/fishing/4-wheeling/motorcycling, etc. Nancy was nervous about the interview but she passed with flying colors and then Billy was interviewed. When he and Elder Cook came back in the room Elder Cook had a huge grin on his face and said, "Tell them the good news, Billy!" and that is when Billy told us he had decided to be baptized with his daughter! WAHOO! During the time that they were being interviewed I got to start teaching Mitchell, Nancy's 16 yr. old son, about the pre-earth life and the purpose of life. It was another great blessing because he's never stayed around too long for the lessons. We are planning on playing basketball with Mitchell and Robbie (Nancy's boys) and other members of Nancy's family on Friday at the church so that we can give them a church tour, too. That'll be interesting because I'm bad and Sis. Meddow has never played basketball before! They are really excited about it, though.

The members of the branch are all thrilled for Billy (he's come to church 12 times now!) and Nancy and they have really been reaching out in love and friendship. Nancy came with us to the Bivens house for dinner last night and that went really well. We took Sis. Ashbey with us on Sunday and she was and AMAZING team-up. She just moved here from PA but she grew up in New Orleans. Just after we pulled up to Nancy's she got out of the car and walked right over to where Robbie and Mitchell and some of their friends were working on a 4-wheeler and started chatting with them about 4-wheeling and then about motorcycling. She not only connects well with everyone, but she is also an incredible teacher, so the formal lesson went really well with her contributions, too. She wanted to invite them all over for dinner, but because it is such a big group (Nancy, Robert, Robbie, Mitchell, Little Johnny [he's actually a grown man, though] Diane, Jackie, and usually about 3 or 4 other friends/relatives who are over at any given time) she thought it would be easier for them if she just made them dinner and brought it over. I think what we're going to end up doing is meeting at the church to play bball and then just eat there afterwards because she lives close to the chapel anyway. Can you believe these miracles and tender mercies?

Another is that Jessie West, a 70-something yr. old woman whose daughter was a member but passed away from cancer this summer, committed to be baptized in two weeks! She is very sweet but she has been sick much of the time since I met her (with Sis. Parker) in August. Bro. and Sis. Windham (remember Windhaven?) are her neighbors and long-time friends, and when they came with us to teach her last week Bro. Windham gave her a blessing. She has been healed and now is more energetic and healthy than ever before, scooting around everywhere. Now she needs to come to church twice and she can be baptized! Pray for her, please, because she faces some opposition (to baptism) from her family. Also pray for Nancy because her husband is not too thrilled either (and for Billy because who doesn't need extra prayers in the few days before baptism?). Thank you! And thank you for all of your prayers for them so far, because as you can see, they have worked miracles.

I can't possibly write all of the miracles we've seen. Brandy Shelton is still reading (little by little) and FINALLY committed to come to church, whether or not she has her kids that weekend! It still won't be until the last weekend of December but we're praying that miracles happen so that she comes sooner. I am continually impressed by her dedication as a mother. She has been SO prepared to receive the fullness of the gospel.

Our branch Christmas party was wonderful. Santa even came but he taught us all the true meaning of Christmas.

My heart is filled with happiness and joy. What incredible blessings we have been receiving! Thank you so much for your emails and letters. I LOVE hearing about your lives and seeing pictures, too! I got a letter from Megan Lindquist and I was THRILLED because it's the first one I've received from her since I came on my mission! And thank you SO MUCH for your email, Mich! :) I have been absolutely dying to hear from you! And Aunt Katiebug, Mara, Erin, Mom, (I'm sure there are others that I am forgetting now) thank you SO much for your letters. You make me feel loved, uplifted, ready to work harder. I know that time is precious so it's a sacrifice but I am so grateful!

All my love, (and there's a lot of it!)
Your Sister Mitchell

No comments: