1) Before the baptism, with Jackie (Nancy's mom), Sis. Meddow, Nancy Hales, and her friend, "Little Johnny." We'll have one in not too long where Jackie and Little Johnny are the ones in white!
2) Bro. Russ Windham (who baptized Billy), Billy Townsend, Nancy Hales, Bro. Ben Bailey (who baptized Nancy), and Sis. Meddow.
3) Trudy Carter, then Sis. Meddow and me with the gifts that she gave us.
This week has been fantastic. God is so good. Nancy and Billy's baptism went beautifully and many of their family members/friends plus some other investigators came (I think there were 9 investigators there). Many of them also came to church the next day and stayed the entire time. Now Nancy's mom (Billy's ex-wife) and their friend, "Little Johnny" both want to be baptized. We were able to finally reach our goal, even barely exceed it, by having 21 lessons taught to an investigator with a member present. This is going to be much more reachable now that Billy and Nancy are members of the church because they have many friends who want to learn and they are both stellar missionaries. (Each of them signed up to come out with us on team ups before he/she was baptized!) Thank you so much for all of your prayers.
On Friday we had our first basketball night at the church and it was awesome! I was a bit anxious about it because my skills on the court are pretty shabby and Sis. Meddow has never played before, but it turned out that no one was too skilled so everyone had a great time. We didn't try to publicize it to the branch members because Sis. Ashbey offered to make dinner for Nancy's crew plus us so we coupled that with the basketball night—and we didn't want to invite the whole branch when she was cooking for us. (She made us a traditional New Orleans meal of red beans and spicy sausage over rice, sweet potato casserole, and bread pudding. It was good but I guess it's not ideal to eat a big meal and THEN play basketball.) Fifteen of us were there, we played 5 on 5, and the others who were there didn't want to play anyway but had a ball :) just chatting and watching us. Sis. Meddow is a maniac on the court—wowza! She is a toughie for sure. I guess it's because she is the only girl with 4 brothers. Anyway, we feel like it would be an excellent missionary tool to make it a tradition and have a sports night (bball, volleyball, etc.)/activity night (other games)/or missionary movie night each Friday night. We brought it up with our ward council and they are still not sure because of liability issues but hopefully they'll allow us.
We met an incredible woman named Eve who volunteers monthly at the food pantry with her 3 girls. She reminded me SO much of Heather and then I even found out that she is even getting another degree in ESL. She was an English teacher but now stays at home with and home schools her girls. It was thrilling to talk with her (over raw, semi-frozen chicken thighs) because she is articulate and asks poignant questions. I felt like I was at home with my family. I want to share the gospel with her family and of course we talked about religion/our beliefs but I felt like with her she will be more open if we develop a relationship with her before just asking if we can come and share the gospel with them. I cannot wait to see her again.
I love Sister Meddow. She is unfailingly generous and kind. Nancy and her family threw Sis. Meddow a surprise birthday party and it was her first birthday party ever. Wow. I guess it was a birthday of "firsts" because I made her her first German pancakes with yummy syrup for breakfast, the day before had been the first baptism(s) she's been able to be a part of on her mission, and she just played basketball for the first time ever.
As Nancy drove us home from the birthday party, we got to talk with her 10 year old cousin, Jeremy, about the Book of Mormon. Towards the end Nancy said, "It's like me, Jeremy. I used to be Pentecostal and I said I would never change, but then I studied and prayed and now I know that this [the restored gospel of Jesus Christ] is true." Pure and beautiful testimony from a brand new member.
We made carrot juice today (by blending carrots in the blender, straining out the pulp and adding some sweetened condensed milk, nutmeg, and vanilla—yummy!). It tastes delicious ice cold. A first for me!
Jessie probably won't be getting baptized on the 27th because her son who lives next door does not want us to come over and visit with her anymore. Blessedly, she has a neighbor, Bro. Windham, who is a member of the branch and he will act as a wonderful go-between and has even offered his house as a place where we can teach her. I am confident that she will be able to be baptized soon, even if it's not this week. She came to the baptism and loved it and then came to church on Sunday. She has a great desire to be baptized.
I love this work. We are so spoiled, though, and I feel bad that people feel like they need to give us gifts for Christmas. Our dear friend, Trudy Carter, made us each a goodie bag with 3 little dessert cups (chocolate mint, carrot cake with cream cheeseiness, and creamy pumpkin pie) and a candle holder with re-fills of the scents that each of us like (she always burns candles and we always smell the different scents that she has). Considering that many members of the branch warned us about her, even saying, "Don't be excited to go THERE," it is a miracle that she has melted towards us and is really such a sweet, caring person. When we walked in she had Christmas music playing in the background and had a decorated gingerbread man for each of us on a plate on the table. I love her.
I love this work. Ahhhhh….. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment