I just got Amberly's wedding invitation—wahoo! It doesn't say what date the actual wedding is (in the Provo Temple—who does that?! I love you two. :) but I'm guessing it's June 20th since that is the date of the first reception. I am thrilled beyond belief. I wish I could celebrate there with you, but…asi es la vida, right Ambs?
I'm feeling happy. Life is wonderful. The work is booming here in Gainesville, GA.
--Willie Nix is getting baptized THIS SATURDAY—(6/14/08)! We are so excited that he has been staying true to his commitment and that he has completely given up smoking cigarettes and drinking coffee. He kept that commitment despite (seemingly) impossible opposition this weekend. His little propane stove ran out of gas so he can't cook any of his food, and then he ran out of food (and he had used up all of his food stamps) and it has been really hot here (in the mid to upper 90s) and humid, of course, and he has no air conditioning. So, not only was he trying to overcome nicotine and caffeine additions, but he was simultaneously starving, dying of heat and battling brutal headaches! He still stayed strong, (and of course we gave him food) he came to church again, he's continued to read, and he is going to be baptized in a few days. Wow. Pray for him.
-- Dede finally committed to keep the Word of Wisdom. Surprisingly, even though she drinks coffee and smokes some, her major concern is tea—sweet tea, the life force of the south. She's been drinking it since she was two! After much resistance, instead of explicitly agreeing to live it she said, "Well, you'd better make a list of everything that I can drink, then." (Great idea—I think I'll use it next time we teach the Word of Wisdom and people complain about how it limits what we can drink!) Sister Tidwell and I had a ball thinking of all sorts of tasty things we can drink. :)
--We got to teach a less active guy who actually served his mission here just a few years ago (he's 24 now) named James. We still haven't been able to talk to him in such a way that we've gotten to the root problem, but hopefully we will soon. He doesn't seem to be too hardened yet.
--God has been blessing us to find new investigators, but sadly Satan has been working hard to prevent us from teaching second lessons to the new investigators we found last week. We're trying/praying hard.
--The members here are amazing. Full of love and extremely willing to serve. The Turners are the typical Mormon family (7 kids, the oldest are married and having kids and the next oldest attend BYU. Sis. Turner is very involved in the schools that her children attend, always running around, serving others, and they drive a BIG white [not mini] van. ). But, even more than that they are amazing missionaries. Sis. Turner made some plates of cookies on Sunday ad then took us around to meet/get to know some of her neighbors. Just the day before she had fed us dinner and then come on a team-up to visit one less active man and Dede. She is amazing!
--One adventure that we had this week was trying to find a woman who lives on a houseboat on Lake Lanier [la-neer]. It's tricky when someone's home is that mobile!
It's getting hot! My arms are developing a fine farmers' tan, and all of my appendages have provided a sumptuous feast for mosquitoes. :) We are SO PAMPERED here as missionaries, though, with a really nice, new car to drive that has air conditioning. We have nothing to complain about.
The picture that I attached is how Sister Tidwell and I look RIGHT NOW, so it's pretty much as good as seeing us in person. :) (I think I need a haircut, what do you think? :) This was taken at the bottom of our driveway by some gorgeous day lilies that open up every day.
I love you all and hope you're being blessed.
Love,
Sister Mitchell
P.S.
Matt--I am thrilled that you got a job! (Prayers work, yet again.) Write me, you little stinker, so that I can hear more about it/your life in Palo Alto. Have you made any trips to "World Wraps"?
Spencer--thanks for the email and the talk. I CAN receive email from anyone, and yes, I cannot send them to anyone outside of my immediate family and grandparents.
Taryn--When do you enter the MTC? I am so sorry that I haven't written you back yet. In the past two preparations days I have only been able to write a whopping 1 letter. I'll write today. And you can feel free to email me, by the way. ;) I love you, cutie.

No comments:
Post a Comment