Wednesday, June 4, 2008

finding miracles

Pictures:
1) Pres. & Sis. Browning, Sis. Tidwell, me, Sandra, Josh's mom and stepdad
2) Sandra & Josh Peeks and Sandra's boys Jaden and Lucas

This week the goal is to be concise (for once!):
--I am really loving Sister Tidwell. NOT loving like, "Whew—I can finally stand her!" but loving like, "Man, this sister is really cool and I feel like we're good friends." Everyday I feel blessed to be her companion and to get to serve here in Gainesville with her. It is such a blessing to get to be with a good friend all of the time.
--Melisia has progressed leaps and bounds since she was baptized. The gift of the Holy Ghost is real and holds incredible power.
--SANDRA was baptized—wahoo! She called us on Thursday to ask if she could move up her baptism to Saturday May 31st (instead of Sat. 6/7). When does THAT ever happen? Her husband Josh's family was all able to come—they are all members— (and Pres. and Sis. Browning and our Zone Leaders all came, too) and it went beautifully. The Spirit was strong during the baptismal program as well as during her confirmation the next day. She is an incredible woman.
--We have had MIRACLE after MIRACLE in finding people this week. One was when we went to teach Lance a lesson. He is a less-active recent convert (gotta love that LDS lingo :)who lives with some high school friends—one single girl and then a married couple who have a little baby (Mike and Jessica, and their baby is Kingston). Mike and Jessica were home when we came, they warmly invited us in and then stayed for the lesson. They are good Christian people and a solid couple. He teaches science at the high school /coaches football there, and she stays at home with their 6 mo. old. It was INCREDIBLE—and just handed to us, we didn't even have to work or bargain to get them to let us teach them! :) We taught about the Restoration using some blocks to build Christ's "church"— built on the foundation of apostles and prophets, with Jesus Christ as the chief cornerstone. The Spirit was so strong. Mike and Jessica love the idea of eternal families (we also talked about that a little bit).
--Another miracle came on Fast Sunday when we were "finding new investigators" (our favorite name for tracting). We didn't have much energy, no one was home, and the one guy that talked to us was atheist and the conversation left us feeling highly depressed (what a hopeless existence to not believe in God or His plan). We knocked on a door that changed everything. Both Sis. Tidwell and I had a good feeling about Alisha right when she opened the door. She is very ready for the gospel and was receptive. After we told her a little about the Bk. Of M. she said, "Now, where could I get one of those books?" :) We told her she was talking to the right people.
--We also found Liz just yesterday, who was similarly primed for the gospel. I LOVE THIS WORK!

I am really really happy. I never want to leave Gainesville or Sis. Tidwell (although she is going to be leaving to go home after next transfer anyway). The work here is on fire and the members are so wonderful. I am SO blessed.

Love,
Sister Mitchell

P.S. Mom, so, are you able to email these to that whole long email list? Thank you!

No comments: