Monday, March 2, 2009

snow!

PICTURES:
1) Chris Frank's baptism! Me, Sis. Warner, Sis. Smith, Chris, Elder Thacker, Elder Hill
2) Us right after the baptism with a scripture case Sis. Smith made for Chris
3) Last night we got home and met a new friend that the elders made for us--right in front of our apt. door! Yes, it here snowed yesterday. (It was the first time that it's really snowed since I've been here.)

Sadly I have little time because a lot of others are waiting to use this computer. This last week has been good. I have been feeling somewhat like I/we have been living beneath our potential, though, which caused some inner unrest (as it always does). Today as I thought about that during personal study, I was led to the sterling example of the sons of Helaman. As I read Alma 57 I felt reenergized and enthused. (I love the Book of Mormon.) I want to have the faith that they had. I want to "obey every command with exactness" as did they. We talked about the same subject in companion study and talked about how we can start living up to our potential. One thing that we did that was helpful was we privately read our Patriarchal blessings/other blessings that we have received, specifically looking for the gifts and strengths that we have been given. Then, we shared those with each other and talked about how we can use our unique strengths to compliment each others' weaknesses. It was wonderful. We chose a theme of Alma 57:26-27 starting with "And we do justly ascribe it…" We can have such great faith and do such a great work together, with the Lord's help, but it is up to us to work with "all our heart, might, mind, and strength" (D&C 4).

Chris Frank's baptism went perfectly. Heavenly Father answered our prayers so that, despite the fact that some of us have been sick this past week (Sis. Smith, Elder Thacker and I have each had a cold) we were able to sing a beautiful arrangement of "I Know that My Redeemer Lives" with the Spirit. I also felt the Spirit as my companions and I got to teach a brief lesson about the restoration of the gospel of Jesus Christ. Sadly, Chris's husband, Lada, was not able to attend the baptism as he left town earlier that morning to work in Alabama. (He does construction work and as there are no opportunities for that kind of work right now in GA he's been working in the surrounding states.)

As Sis. Smith and I were sick we desired to receive Priesthood blessings. As Elder Hill and Elder Thacker gave me the blessing I was filled with the warm, comforting, uplifting feelings of the Spirit. I know that the Priesthood power is real.

We were able to meet a few new investigators this past week but are excited to meet all of the individuals that God will place in our path this coming week.
Love,
Sis. Mitchell

No comments: