I don't know where to begin.
Basketball this Friday was the most fun/the best it has ever been. Nancy brought a lot of boys with her and then Cassie Hall (a 24 yr. old girl who is actually really good at basketball) came for the first time as did the Ash family (a less active, part-memb. young couple with three kids) which made it really fun. We taught the 10 Commandments using little hand signs after the two games. It was wonderful.
Jackie Searcy (Nancy's mom) was baptized on Saturday and it went really well. Because of some reasons I won't dwell on, Sis. Meddow and I were both somewhat anxious during the baptism but I think it was perfect for Jackie. Many branch members showed their support by coming. "Little Johnny" (Burton) came with Nancy and Jackie and Titus (Billy's grandson) came with him.
Yesterday was the most beautiful Sabbath that I have had, at least in Jasper if not in my entire mission. It was a privilege to be able to fast. Last time we fasted (with Brandy Shelton) Sis. Meddow and I read the scriptures in D&C 59:9-16 about the Sabbath and about how fasting should be equivalent to "rejoicing." (I love these scriptures and I recently noticed a connection between verse 9 and one of my other favorite scriptures, and Dad's, in James 1: 27.) I believe that by trying to fast that way, in the Lord's way, is one reason why yesterday was so powerful.
One incredible miracle was that Brandy Shelton came! We hadn't been able to talk with her during the second half of the week so we had not asked her specifically to come to church this week. Just as the testimony portion of the meeting started she walked into the chapel and sat down. I was shocked (and thrilled)! When we talked with her afterwards we found out that it was an even more incredible miracle than that, because she tried in vain to get her car to start for 20 mins. before it finally started. But IT DID start! Of course, that made her late (it starts at 10am and the car didn't start until 10:05am) but she STILL CAME! Also, her kids ended up being with their dad this weekend so she had no distractions during church but could instead really concentrate on the meetings. Earlier in the week she finally came to the realization for herself (although we've talked about it again and again) that she wants/needs to study the Book of Mormon everyday, and she has been. We have been suggesting chapters from the Book of Mormon that coordinate with chapters in the Bible because she wants to read them both and that has been great for her.
Nancy and Jackie both bore their testimonies and the Spirit was strong during the entire meeting. Sunday school and Relief Society were similarly uplifting and inspiring. To top off the day, the sun was shining and it was warm (about 60 degrees).
I believe that God blessed us with such a tender mercy as it will be the last Sabbath that Sis. Meddow and I get to share for a long time. Pres. King called last night to tell me to pack my bags because I will be transferred on Wednesday. He also asked me to be a trainer and told me that I would be in a threesome for this transfer serving in an area that is, according to the bishop of the ward, "red hot" right now. I'm not sure what area it is, but I will find out on Wednesday. Heavenly Father prepared me for the news that I would be training but I really did not think that I would be transferred, and it still hasn't really sunk in. Jasper is my home, and Sis. Meddow my beloved companion and sister. Nancy is my mom, her family is my family and Jenifer Lovell and Brandy Shelton are dear friends. Whenever I must be separated from people I love I rejoice in the knowledge of eternity when we can live together without the limits of space and time.
I am excited for new opportunities to serve, new people to love, new friendships to form and the growth that will accompany the changes, but…it is all bittersweet.
Love,
Sister Mitchell
No comments:
Post a Comment