Wednesday, September 10, 2008

So much for GA peaches!

Picture:
This is Sis. Meddow, Kenya Washington, and me sitting outside of Kenya's house. We've been teaching Kenya for about 1 1/2 months and she's come to church (twice) and loves it and is reading and living the commandments we've taught but doesn't quite have the desire to be baptized...It's tricky figuring out what we can do to help her progress. She's a sweetheart, though.

All of that talk about peaches (Mom and Jenni Mae) made me remember my shock when I saw CA peaches next to the GA peaches in the grocery store--and the CA peaches were twice as big as the GA peaches! Also, if you ever figure out how to send a homemade fresh peach pie, Mom, feel free! :) What a tasty life you lead!

I feel richly blessed and extremely happy. Sis. Meddow and I have had some wonderful companion bonding time today...schnarning this morning after we exercised, cleaned, and studied. We have had such vastly different backgrounds but because we are united in our desire to serve the Lord (and thus the people in Jasper) and keep His commandments (and mission rules). Because of that, there has been almost no friction that you'd normally expect with such differences. One of the qualities that I appreciate most about her is the love that she emanates. She does not criticize, neither does she irritate easily; instead she loves me and is patient with me. I love her!

Zone Conference was an incredible experience. Pres. King is changing things in exactly the way that I have prayed they would change. For instance, we are focusing all of our efforts on becoming Preach My Gospel missionaries. He developed a study schedule that we may follow (if we choose) that has us all studying the same part of PMG gospel at the same time. Then, at District Meetings we discuss what we've learned so far from what we've been studying that week (instead of having trainings where people just talk at you). Every six weeks we come to Zone Conference and we discuss everything that we have been learning from those sections that we have all been studying. Again, we will all discuss it and practice it instead of just sitting and listening to trainings. YEA! This pattern fits my learning style so much more, as I love to focus deeply on a few things (i.e. one section of PMG for an entire week or longer) and I know that it will help me to truly implement the inspired instruction in this manual. Ahhh. I am absolutely thrilled about it.

At the end of Zone Conf. Pres. King said that he has been somewhat disappointed with the testimonies of the missionaries in this mission. It sounds harsh but the way that he said it was not unkind but rather, motivated by his love and concern for us and those we teach. As he bore testimony and then allowed time for others of us to bear testimony, my heart burned with conviction. It was powerful in a way I cannot describe.

Miracles continue. Billy Townsend (60s) and Mario Paz both came to church and Mario brought his 3 yr. old. God is leading us to families to teach—like the Higgins (Scott and Freida, and while we were teaching them their adult children all came over [because there was a big storm coming] so we got to teach them too) and the Nichols (Justin is 20 and Jason is 15). Last night we were able to meet an amazing less active member of the branch named Sis. Reichert, and she is excited for us to return and also teach her husband (she said, "Maybe you're the ones!") who is not a member.

Thank you all for the love and support that you showered me with which prepared me for my mission. I love you!

Love, Sister Mitchell

No comments: